Skip to main content

Secret Shopper

As I walked into the library I felt like a bit of a spy on a secret mission. Sounds like the start of a good book. Maybe even a good mystery. However, it is just my account of what happened when seeking readers' advisory at a public library. I went a few minutes out of my city of Indianapolis to an affluent library to get some help finding a good mystery.

False Assumptions I Had:
  1. Readers' Advisory would look different in a bigger library.
  2. I would not receive great service because I was not the "regular" patron.
  3. I would do something to give away that I was a future librarian and not an innocent patron.

1) Reader's Advisory should be basically the same at any library you go to. Patrons should be seeking books and the librarian should be ready and willing to help said patrons find books.

2) I am not sure what a regular patron is, but somehow I had the idea that I was not that patron. I worried that being of color and having outrageous hair would somehow cause the librarian to judge me before she even helped me.

3) Pretty much the only thing I could have done to give myself away was say that I was a student doing a readers' advisory assignment. I manage not to do that!

Overall impression of readers' advisory service I received:

The atmosphere was pleasant. I found the reference desk immediately due to signage that indicated it was okay to ask questions. The librarian greeted me immediately and made me feel comfortable talking to her about what I needed. A readers' advisory interview was performed and then the librarian gave me several recommendations and invited me back to the library if I did not find any of the recommendations suitable.

One thing I missed:

During my secret shop the librarian did not show me what resources she was using to find the materials she was suggesting. However, I did find a mini flyer about NoveList which explained how to find "Read-alikes" on the database. I do not know that if I were a patron it would matter to me if she showed me how she was finding the information. She did explain to me why she was recommending a couple of the authors and she even recommended one over the others after a couple of more minutes of explaining to her why I liked one of my favorite authors. I am the type of person who would just leave it to the expert to find what I should read. I know that if I were not a librarian I probably would not be interested in learning about NoveList because I would soon forget it after being shown the database.

Lesson:

No readers' advisory interaction is perfect. However, it is a good and necessary service to provide to patrons. We are the experts and we should act as such by helping patrons find the books they want and need to read. We should also maintain an approachable demeanor when helping our patrons.

Comments

  1. I love how you summarized this and broke down your assumptions. Excellent paper and excellent post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 14 Prompt: Separating Fiction

Prompt:  Consider yourself part of the collection management committee of your local library, or a library at which you would like to work. You must decide whether or not to separate GBLTQ fiction and African American Fiction from the general collection to its own special place. Some patrons have requested this, yet many staff are uncomfortable with the idea - saying it promotes segregation and disrupts serendipitous discovery of an author who might be different from the reader. Do you separate them? Do you separate one and not the other? Why or why not? You must provide at least 3 reasons for or against your decision. Feel free to use outside sources - this is a weighty question that is answered differently in a lot of different libraries. Response: I like to be on the side of forward thinking. Librarians have a duty to bring certain issues and in this mater types of fiction to the light. Placing GBLTQ and African American Fiction among the general fiction is almost like hiding it i

Urban Fiction Annotation

Tile: The Wife of a Hustler Author: Porscha Sterling 126 pages ISBN: 9781511476461 Synopsis: Vanessa is The Wife of a Hustler  and she is tired of the hustle. Or is she? Vanessa loves her husband Ty and would do anything to keep him, including kill. However, Vanessa is having a hard time trusting Ty with her heart since he has been making more and more frequent trips to see his son and his baby mama Trinity. Trinity would love nothing more than to be Ty's main focus. She would be his main focus if she could just get rid of Vanessa. Trouble finds Trinity just in time for Ty to help out and stay a while. All the trouble causes Vanessa to get into a bit of trouble on her own. Will Vanessa be able to help Ty keep his drug empire? Will she keep her man from being taking by the Trinity the Florida's princess of the drug game? Urban Fiction Appeal: Inner-city life/struggle: The character of Trinity and her brother Loon were abandoned as children and raised themselves in t

Week 16 Prompt: Past, Present, and Future of Books

Reading has definitely changed since I was a child. I remember the first book I read by myself was a glow-in-the-dark book! It was so cool to be able to read the book in a closet at school. I was able to literally go in the coat closet and read my book. That was the coolest and newest thing back before everyone had tablets, mobile phones, or even computers in their home. Today all of those technologies that we rely on have a back light and thus glow, so to speak. I remember reading all the time as a child. My mother read a lot more than she watched television and so did I. We took weekly trips to the library and so did other families in our neighborhood.  Today it is more rare to see families engaged in reading that way. However, there are new ways to read books other than going to get a hard copy. One can simply download a file to their mobile device and have the book on the go and several others at the same time without carrying the weight of all of those titles. While reading has